As the first meal of the day, breakfast is important nutritionally, but when you’re camping, breakfast becomes a special event. Waking up to the smell of a fresh pot of coffee, a crackling fire, and something savory cooking is a welcome feast for the senses. With a dutch oven, you can cook a wide variety of camp meals, and breakfast is one of the easiest. Whether your tastes include eggs, meats, biscuits, or even muffins, a dutch oven can facilitate a hearty breakfast spread for the whole camp. Here are a couple simple, delicious breakfast recipes you can prepare in your dutch oven on your next camping trip.
Sausage and Egg Breakfast – Serves 2-3
1 medium sized onion diced
1 bell pepper diced
a carton of egg mixture or 1/2 dozen eggs
medium-sized dutch oven
• Break sausage into one inch pieces and brown in the oven. Only coals underneath are required, so you can leave the oven lid off.
• Stir the sausage occasionally as it browns, being careful not to break the pieces apart.
• Before it is cooked through, add the diced onion and bell pepper and saute the mixture until onions start to become translucent.
• Scramble the eggs until thoroughly mixed.
• Remove the grease.
• Add the scrambled eggs.
• As the eggs begin to cook, carefully fold the contents over
• When the entire mixture has reached the desired firmness, remove from the oven.
• Season with salt and pepper. Try adding cheddar cheese and salsa for an extra savory kick!
1 package of large English muffins, sandwich size
1 egg for each person
sliced cheddar or swiss cheese
salt and pepper
vegetable oil or olive oil
• Dice the onions, and thinly slice the potatoes.
• Add some olive or vegetable oil to the oven and fry the potatoes and onions, until the potatoes are cooked through and the onions become transluscent.
• When cooked, set aside.
• Using the griddle, toast the English muffins. Set aside when done.
• Using the griddle, add oil or butter and fry the eggs.
• Build the sandwiches with the cheese, potato and onion mix and eggs. Salt and pepper to taste.