You asked for it, so we’re dishing out a generous helping of new dessert recipes for your dutch oven! Camping is one of those great moments in life when pretty much anything goes; you can let the diet and usual restrictions slide a little while you’re enjoying nature. The upside of this is that since you’re outdoors, chances are pretty good that you’ll be exerting more energy than you do in your everyday life, so you’ll be burning off the sweets while you venture around. If you ask us, that’s the sweetest treat of all!
Remember, the key to efficiency with dutch oven cooking is to do as much prep as possible at home!
Raisin Bread Pudding – Serves 8
8 slices of cinnamon raisin bread
2 c milk
1/4 c sugar
1/2 stick of butter (or 1/4 cup)
1/2 c raisins
1 tsp cinammon
1/2 c chopped walnuts (optional)
Spoon or spatula
- Preheat dutch oven by placing it over coals with the lid on, and placing 8-10 coals on top of the lid.
- Mix all ingredients together in the bowl except for the bread.
- Remove lid from dutch oven, and throw in the raisin bread, torn into 1-inch pieces.
- Cover with bowl mixture, and replace the lid.
- Cook for 45 minutes, and let cool 5-10 minutes before serving.
S’Mores Pie – Serves 8
2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 c mini marshmallows
Pie server or spatula
- Preheat dutch oven over coals.
- Place ready-made graham cracker pie crust inside dutch oven.
- Fill with chocolate chips, and allow to melt for about 5 minutes.
- Add marshmallows on top of chocolate and replace the lid, cooking for about 10 minutes.
- Check every 5 minutes, and when marshmallows have browned, remove pie from dutch oven.
- Allow to cool for 5-8 minutes before serving. Make sure everyone gets a piece!